Cross-posted from the CCLA/ABCC website:
The County of Carleton Law Association (CCLA) is pleased to announce the new name of their library.
Thanks to the generous title-sponsor level contributions by Gowling WLG (Canada) to the CCLA Renovations Campaign, the CCLA Library will now proudly bear the name of The Gordon F. Henderson Library.
Gordon F. Henderson CC QC (1912–1993) was an intellectual property lawyer who joined Henderson Herridge & Gowling (now Gowling WLG) in 1937, and later became its chairman. He was known for his advocacy on intellectual property matters as well as his involvement with intellectual property organizations throughout his career. Gordon Henderson was not just an IP lawyer; he excelled in every branch of the law he touched. His love of learning and of the law, as well as his high ethical and work standards infected all who were exposed to him.
Henderson was an active participant in professional associations both within and outside the legal community. He established the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and was president of the Canadian Bar Association. He was the founding editor of the Canadian Patent Reporter in 1941 and was its editor until his death. Henderson served on the Board of Governors of the University of Ottawa, and from 1991-1993, he was chancellor of the university.
Henderson was also a philanthropist, humanitarian and civic leader in Ottawa, having founded or lent his support to numerous causes. He was awarded Canada’s highest civilian honour, a Companion of the Order of Canada, for his decades of service to his community and his profession.
Within the the Library, visitors can now find both a portrait of Gordon F. Henderson, as well as an art installation dedicated to his life and influence in the community.
The Gordon F. Henderson Library is located in the Ottawa courthouse at 161 Elgin Street. Established in 1888 to provide a legal research materials to Ottawa lawyers and judges, the Gordon F. Henderson Library remains a vital research hub for the Ottawa legal community, and serves lawyers, judges, paralegals, and students.